Sunday, October 17, 2010

Auctioning Off a Lifetime.......





Spent the day, Saturday, at an auction, in the small town of Norway, Iowa... The woman selling her possessions, was 87 years old...and, attended the auction... After the sale.... I was hurrying, trying to get everything gathered up, and loaded... as I was sorting through quilts, and rugs... she came walking up to me...asked if I needed a hand, folding the quilts, so they wouldn't touch the ground...I told her, I would really appreciate a hand... The old quilts were quite worn...all of them, wool... She told me, her Grandmother had made one of them... and her Mother, the other one.... She said, they were sure warm.... It was important, back in those days, to have warm quilts...she said.
She had lived in the Old House, her entire life...She is a tiny woman... but strong... I was amazed at everything she had saved, over the years.... Others said that too... I reminded them... it seems if you lived through the Depression... You valued things... every thing... from string, to buttons... to jars of screws... pencils...scraps of fabric....paper... You simply didn't waste... after all... waste not...want not...{ I heard this, over and over... growing up... my Mother is 90}
I will be keeping, for a while, one of the quilts... and put it on the Old Rope Bed, John and I put in the spare bedroom, today... I'm finally getting a little done... I'll take a few images, as we get it together...
My heart is a little heavy, for the Charming Lady... I can't imagine watching your life, be sold at auction... Folks digging through your things... it didn't really sink in, until today, for me... I wonder how she is doing... today....
Barb C.

{This room is 10x14... The Old Rope Bed,{early to mid 1800's} fits perfectly... I'll be adding an 1840's chest of drawers, and maybe a chair, or two... but... lot's of wall coverings, and simple draperies... I have been saving them, for just a room like this... They are vintage, with a tatted edge...and wonderful...
It was hard not jumping into this wonderful bed....{I love the posts... they are nearly 7 feet tall} It still has everything original, a rope bed should, but the side rolls have been notched for slats, and will take a 3/4 size box, and mattress... I then added a wonderful, plush, down, vintage ticking, with it's original mustard and blue removable casing. Then, used the darling, quilt, that mixes a Log Cabin Quilt, and beautiful Floral border... The masses of pillows came from the same home, as the Ticking... They are all feather and down filled...{they are all at least 70 years old, and the Ticking, over a hundred...} I am asthmatic, and have been, for 40 years... yet, the Ticking, and feathers have never bothered...I sleep with them, and love them...This Old Bed is a Mile High.... On the foot board, I have 2 of the Quilts {comforters} from the auction... I think they are happy to see the light of day.... and yes... they would keep you warm...
I have a long way to go on this room... I'll keep you posted...}{ Polly was sad, she had to stay down... oh dear...}

1 comment:

  1. The room is looking great....I LOVE the color on the walls and the LOVE, LOVE the rope bed. I love your new blog and have added it to my favorites. Looking forward to new posts. I will be posting some of the new old industrial, rusty, scrumptious pieces I have picked up lately.
    Toni

    ReplyDelete