Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Cranberry Relish....


What you need....
3 lbs. Granny Smith Apples...{or....any tart, crisp apples you like!
4 medium oranges...
2 lbs. Cranberries...
1 and 1/2 cups Brown...
1 and 1/2 cups White Sugar...
8 ounces of Nuts....
{ I like Walnuts... I used mixed nuts, this time, and they are Great!}
Wash all the fruit well... I even soak everything in a little fresh lemon, then let it all dry...
I chop the Cranberries first, in the blender... a handful, at a time... then the nuts... then stir the chopped Cranberries, nuts and sugar together.... {The Cranberries start dissolving the sugars, right away...} Then, I core the apples, leaving the peel on... and chop...in the blender... then, the Oranges... I simply cut the ends off,
 {seed if not seedless} 
Then, I quarter them, and chop, in the blender...peel, and all! {it's best to use an orange, that has a thinner skin.... the white, fleshy part, tends to be bitter...}
This makes about 8 to 10 cups... Mmmm. Mmmm! 

I Love this relish! It's Great with Turkey and Stuffing, and is mighty tasty with Pork, as well!{it keeps for several days, in the fridge and actually tastes better, if you can make it a day or two, ahead! It's so Festive, 
 I always serve it in a pretty footed glass Compote, or a White Ironstone Bowl... it's become a
 Holiday Tradition....
{ I only use vintage serving pieces... because, that's all I have....I think food looks like Grandma made it, when served in them... and I like that... Some of my old bowls, have cracks, and if they are leakers.... they only hold dry stuff...but, they still find a place on the table...When I talk about amounts.... well... I'm one of those, "a pinch here, a dash there... a dollop of this, and yes.... butter, the size of an egg"... I don't own a measuring cup, or measuring spoon.... so.... tweak to your heart's desire...and taste, taste...taste away! This is the way I grew up, and observed Farm Women, in their kitchens... It's all about how you, and your Family like it... Just have fun!
I'll be posting some of our other Holiday Favorites, this week... our Thanksgiving 'Soul Food!'
Barb C.
{I'm going to try and use the hand crank food grinder, next time... I think it may take less time, than with the blender!}

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! This looks heavenly!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will make this on Christmas! Luv~Betty :)

    ReplyDelete